The Anchorage is a historical home in the Harmar neighborhood of Marietta, Ohio, United States. This house is also known as the Putnam Villa, it was built in 1859 by Douglas Putnam for his wife Eliza. Douglas was the great grandson of General Israel Putnam. Douglas’ brother, David Putnam, Jr. was the leading abolitionist in Marietta. It is believed that David frequently visited the home so many people believe that the home was used as part of the Underground Railroad.One of the last private residents of the Anchorage, Eddie MacTaggert, claimed that his grandfather was active in the Underground Railroad and was told that the home was used for it. That was the main reason that Eddie wanted to purchase the home.
In 1894, the Knox family bought the house from the Putnams. The Knox family was involved in boat building and gave the home the name of The Anchorage. From 1960 to 1986 the house served as a nursing home called The Christian Anchorage. Since 1996, the the Washington County Historical Society has owned the home.
There are many claims that Eliza Putnam is seen looking out of the windows of the house. There are also many rumors of tunnels and secret rooms in the house. There are tunnels in the basement of the Anchorage that lead into the surrounding hillside. Geologists and many other experts believe the tunnels were designed for drainage. Without them, the weight of the enormous house would cause the ground to slip and possibly cave in.
There is a tiny room directly beneath the kitchen in the basement of the Anchorage. You have to squeeze through a concealed opening to get inside. It’s little more than a large crawl space and no one has an explanation for it.
Photos taken by Cindie Harper