The Madison Seminary in Madison Ohio. This location was dubbed “One of Ohio’s Most Haunted Places.”
The Madison Seminary started out as a small, frame building when it opened in 1847. It served as a high school and college. The buildings were used for education until 1891, when the property was purchased by the Ohio Woman’s Relief Corps. The Civil War Army nurses, wives, sisters and mothers of soldiers used the facility and it became known as the National Relief Corp Home. The building that stands today was built on the site of the original small frame wood structure and was added by the Woman’s Relief Corps in 1891. By 1904, the WRC could not maintain the facility so it was donated to the State of Ohio. The property changed hands and functions several times over the next few decades. The building was used as the Ohio Women’s Reformatory and by various medical facilities. It also served as an extension of housing for mentally disabled, aged or senile women.
In the 1970’s, the Lake County commissioners acquired the buildings from the state and leased them to Madison Township for administrative offices until a new facility was built. The building is on the National Historic Register and in 1993, the building was advertised as “can be leased cheap, caution — building may be haunted.”
Previous paranormal teams claim to have made contact with the ghost of a young boy named Steven, odd photos of orbs, disembodied voices, knocking sounds, cold spots, light anomalies, flashlight manipulation, EVP’s and personal paranormal experiences.
By: Cindie Harper